Cavities Aren't Depravities

As all good spouses do, my wife knows me better than myself.

Shannon knows when to push me, rein me in, tells me to schedule doctor appointments, and makes me eat chia seeds, knowing they'll get stuck in my teeth. She describes me as humerus (shameless homonym humor), subsequently corny, an unbreakable optimist, a genuine human being who cares for others and lives for family...and food. Her words, not mine.

I think I'm pretty reserved, but quick-witted. While I can play the part, I don't like crowds, spotlight, or recognition. I don't like to get too high or too low. My perfect night is hanging out on a cold fall night by the fire pit with a few close friends and family. Author Susan Cain (Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking) would describe me as an "ambivert," floating between an extrovert and an introvert. I guess I'm a weird, non-traditionalist that can't decide where I draw energy from. Regardless, I try to live a consistent, even-keeled life.

Cue Miley Cyrus's "Wrecking Ball".


"Sports George" is my alter ego. Shannon gave me the notorious nickname early on in our courting of one another. She discovered that I am a different person when I watch sporting events, maybe even a different species. While I would describe "Sports George" as a passionate, encouraging, lightning rod that's full of life, Shannon would describe "Sports George" as a loud, irrational, pacing three-year-old; a harbinger of hysteria. Ah, the mystique of perspective.

Although we do our best to deliver a consistent professional and comforting environment at the office, there is something about a dental office that brings patients' alter-egos out. There are a myriad of reasons why we may act uncharacteristically at the dentist: anxiety, poor experiences, and sometimes we are just having a bad day! Jerry Seinfeld grouped many of the alter-egos we see into one collective label: the "Anti-Dentite" (which inspired Overcoming Your Inner Anti-Dentite).

Many patients' alter-egos put them "on tilt," an old poker term meaning you become unhinged, especially after encountering a trigger. A common trigger in the dental office is receiving "bad" news (in our case: gum disease, cavities, failed restorations, abscessed teeth, etc.). It's the worst part of my job and, unfortunately, I have to do it multiple times a day. Like anything in life, some patients take the news better than others. A patient will typically fall into one of the five stages of grief: Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance. It can be a tough road to navigate and not everyone "grieves" the same.

It's always interesting to see which stage the chip will fall in. I'd say the two most common are Acceptance and Denial. For example, if I diagnose a cavity, a patient either knows exactly what they have done to cause it and knows it needs fixed. Or, they respond with something like, "I don't drink pop, eat candy, or snack and I brush and floss after every meal. How can I possibly have a cavity?!"

I think we need to have a shift in our thinking. Having a cavity doesn't necessarily mean you have done something wrong. Getting a cavity is something we are always trying to prevent, but when it happens it is not a travesty or depravity. Most of the time it is fixable or at the very least manageable. There are certainly situations where patients have an unfair fight. They can have a meticulous diet and oral hygiene and still be susceptible to cavities, be it dry mouth from necessary medications, braces, chemotherapy and radiation treatments, lack of fluoride during development, an anatomical defect - deep grooves/pits or poor enamel development, acid reflux, poor genetics and a lack of dexterity...to name a few. Even with a legitimate cause for a cavity, too many times we see an Anti-Dentite come out.

My goal is to see a patient once or twice a year, clean off your calculus, check for oral cancer, and send you on your way. But even in a perfect world where I get two interactions with your mouth a year, you still get thousands! Therefore, it's no secret that you are the key to your success! That is why we empower our patients - give the knowledge and tools to minimize risk factors, as well as the perspective and understanding to stay positive during challenges. We aim to create a safe environment and develop a professional relationship with you. Cavity or no cavity, you can feel like yourself inside and outside of the dental office!

Roll Tribe.

Dr. George R. Williams is a general dentist at Williams Family Dental Group in Canton, Ohio. He is a graduate of The Ohio State University College of Dentistry and Canton Mercy Medical Center General Practice Residency.  For questions or suggestions for blog posts, please feel free to contact him at drgrw@williamsdentalgroup.com


Visit us at williamsdentalgroup.com or our Facebook page   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHY WE NEED WHY

Against All Odds: A Marathon Journey

A Path's Way